California Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. has appointed Munger, Tolles & Olson attorney Gregory J. Weingart to serve as a judge in the Los Angeles County Superior Court. Mr. Weingart will fill the vacancy created by the retirement of Judge Sally L. Meloch. Mr. Weingart’s appointment is one of six announced by Gov. Brown on Dec. 22, 2017.
“From his service as federal prosecutor to work on behalf of our clients, Greg has demonstrated the highest levels of judgment, integrity and intelligence, as well as a deep commitment to public service. He will be a great judge,” Munger, Tolles & Olson Co-Managing Partner Brad D. Brian said.
“I am truly grateful for this opportunity to serve California and Los Angeles County as a member of the judiciary,” Mr. Weingart said. “I offer warm wishes of gratitude to my peers at Munger, Tolles & Olson for their support, their guidance and their friendship these many years we’ve worked together.”
Mr. Weingart joined the firm in 1992 before serving as an Assistant U.S. Attorney at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California in 1995. He returned to the firm in 2004, where he focused his practice on representation of clients in complex civil litigation, particularly trials, white collar criminal defense and internal investigations. Among his key representations, Mr. Weingart won a $66.7 million jury verdict in favor of DoubleLine Capital LP and certain of its founders, including its CEO Jeffrey Gundlach, against his former employer, Trust Co. of the West.
A graduate of Harvard Law School, Mr. Weingart clerked for U.S. District Court for the Central District of California Judge William Matthew Byrne Jr.
Former Munger, Tolles & Olson attorney Kristin S. Escalante was also appointed to a judgeship in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
The firm is proud to count a number of its other alumni as members of the judiciary. They include:
- Mark H. Epstein, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- Anne Egerton, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- Michelle T. Friedland, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Diane Johnsen, Arizona Court of Appeals, Division One (vice chief judge)
- Carolyn Kuhl, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- Christian Markey Jr., Los Angeles County Superior Court (retired)
- Rita Miller, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- Carl H. Moor, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- Lester Olson, Los Angeles County Superior Court (retired)
- John B. Owens, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Mark Rindner, Anchorage Superior Court, Third Judicial District
- Natalie Stone, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- Paul J. Watford, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit