Ted Dane is a litigation partner focusing on intellectual property and antitrust disputes in high technology industries. He has represented clients across a broad range of technologies, including pharmaceuticals, life sciences, medical devices, computer hardware and software, radio frequency identification, wireless networking technology, telecommunications technology and avionics.
In the intellectual property area, Mr. Dane specializes in patent disputes, but also has extensive experience in copyright and trademark matters. In antitrust, Mr. Dane has litigated cases involving monopolization, horizontal conspiracies, sham petitioning, and mergers. Mr. Dane also has significant experience in both IP and non-IP matters relating to the entertainment industry.
An experienced trial lawyer, Mr. Dane has served as trial counsel in several patent cases as well as trials involving commercial disputes and employment discrimination claims.
Mr. Dane also has an active appellate practice, and has argued appeals in the California Court of Appeal, the Seventh Circuit and the Federal Circuit.
For a seven month period after becoming a partner at Munger Tolles, Mr. Dane temporarily left the firm to work as senior litigation counsel at Warner Bros., where he oversaw and managed claims and lawsuits involving Warner Bros. and its affiliated companies.
Mr. Dane’s representative matters include:
- Abbott Laboratories, in a patent trial relating to a cyclosporine pharmaceutical product, and as co-lead counsel in several patent proceedings and Federal Circuit appeals involving clarithromycin antibiotic drug products.
- Alien Technologies Corp. as lead counsel in patent infringement litigation involving radio frequency identification (RFID) technology.
- Creative Laboratories Inc., in a patent trial involving computer sound card technology.
- Medegen MMS Inc. as lead counsel in an appeal of an adverse judgment in patent litigation suit involving medical device technology.
- Microsoft Corp., in antitrust litigation relating to digital media technology.
- Occidental Petroleum, as co-lead counsel in business arbitration involving a joint venture for operation of a California power plant.
- Southern California Edison, in patent trials involving operation of a nuclear power plant.
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals, as co-lead counsel in trial involving dexlansoprazole drug products.
- Tumbleweed Communications Corp., as lead counsel in patent lawsuits regarding software method for secure e‐mail transmission.
- Universal Studios, as lead counsel in an arbitration proceeding involving rights to the “Alvin and the Chipmunks” characters.
- Verizon Services Corp., as lead counsel in patent litigation involving telecommunications technology.
- Warner Bros., as lead counsel in matters involving the motion pictures “Wild, Wild West” and “Space Jam.”
Mr. Dane graduated magna cum laude from Harvard College, with a B.A. in English, and was awarded membership in Phi Beta Kappa. After receiving his law degree from Stanford University, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif, Mr. Dane began his practice in 1989 at O’Melveny & Myers in Los Angeles, and left to clerk for The Honorable Harry Edwards of the Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit in 1990-1991. Mr. Dane joined Munger, Tolles & Olson following his clerkship.