Grant Davis-Denny is a litigation partner at Munger, Tolles & Olson. Mr. Davis-Denny focuses his practice on complex litigation and data privacy and data security matters. He has significant experience counseling companies on proactive data security and privacy issues including, compliance advice, incident response, cyber-insurance, vendor management and data minimization strategies. Mr. Davis-Denny has represented clients in data breach and ransom demand incidents involving the theft of sensitive consumer information and medical data, and is a frequent speaker and author on data security and privacy issues.
Mr. Davis-Denny holds a CIPP/US certification from the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Data Security and Privacy
- Representing companies in responding to data breach and ransom demand incidents involving the theft of sensitive customer information, including advising on data breach notification obligations.
- Counseling companies on a variety of proactive data security issues, including cyber-insurance, vendor management, and data minimization strategies.
- Advising a client regarding the treatment of recorded telephone calls under the California Invasion of Privacy Act and the Federal Wiretap Act.
- Obtaining dismissal of a claim brought under California’s Confidentiality of Medical Information Act relating to the theft of computers containing personal health information.
- Drafting website private policies for companies in various industries.
- A technology firm in conducting internal investigations into alleged anti-competitive conduct.
- A technology company in connection with a three-month jury trial involving multi-billion dollar antitrust claims against the world’s largest computer memory manufacturers.
- A computer hardware company in providing counsel on improvements to its antitrust compliance program.
- A leading software manufacturer in obtaining a favorable claim construction ruling and summary judgment of non-infringement against accusations of patent infringement in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
- Technology companies in a patent infringement lawsuit related to web-enabled database management systems.
Mr. Davis-Denny is a member of the board of directors of the Western Center on Law and Poverty and the board of directors of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Debate League. He is also a member and former chair of the board of directors of California Common Cause and a former member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association's Judicial Election Evaluation Committee. At Munger, Tolles & Olson, he is the co-chair of the firm’s Information Technology committee.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Davis-Denny worked for elected officials Kathleen Sebelius and Tom Torlakson.