Munger, Tolles & Olson is routinely recognized as an elite trial law firm with some of the nation’s premier trial lawyers. Clients including Fortune 500 corporations, the world’s largest music and movie companies and other prominent law firms trust Munger Tolles with their most important trials. Clients often turn to Munger Tolles on the eve of trial, knowing that our litigators can mobilize quickly and efficiently to take a case before a judge or jury.
Our litigators include four fellows in the American College of Trial Lawyers and two former chairs of the ABA Section of Litigation. One of our lawyers, Brad Brian, has been listed as one of the top 19 trial attorneys in the country by Chambers USA. Our trial attorneys have been recognized by publications such as Chambers USA, The American Lawyer, Law360 and the Daily Journal for setting the highest standard of excellence in the courtroom.
Another strength of the firm’s trial team is its diversity, both in terms of professional and personal background. Our trial lawyers include many former federal prosecutors. For example, Bart Williams is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers and has been recognized as a premier lawyer in Black Enterprise magazine.
A list of the firm’s most recent trial experience includes representing:
- DoubleLine Capital and certain of its founders, including CEO Jeffrey Gundlach, in winning a $66.7 million jury verdict against his former employer, Trust Co. of the West (TCW). The jury awarded no damages on TCW’s complaint against DoubleLine and the individual defendants.
- Abbott Laboratories in a defense jury verdict in an antitrust case against GlaxoSmithKline, two of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies. Abbott successfully argued before an Oakland jury that it had not violated federal antitrust laws or a state unfair competition law when it repriced the drug Norvir. The jury rejected GlaxoSmithKline's $571 million damage claim, which was subject to automatic trebling.
- dick clark productions and Red Zone Capital in obtaining a trial victory in a contract dispute with the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Following a bench trial, our clients maintained the right to continue producing and distributing the Golden Globe Awards Show.
- Sony Music Entertainment, EMI Group, Warner Music Group and Universal Music Group in gaining a permanent injunction to shut down one of the most pervasive online file-copying services — LimeWire — and obtained a $105 million settlement in the midst of a damages trial.
- A prominent Los Angeles law firm that was sued for professional negligence in connection with its representation of a reality television star. After a lengthy arbitration proceeding in it was alleged that the law firm’s negligent handling of a jury trial resulted in a multi-million dollar verdict against her and her company, the arbitrator issued a decision in favor of Munger Tolles’s client on all claims.
- Australian author Rhonda Byrne in a copyright challenge. The firm convinced a Chicago federal jury to reject all claims against “The Secret,” Simon & Schuster’s all-time best-seller.
- Six major movie studios in their successful Digital Millennium Copyright Act action against RealNetworks for its manufacture and distribution of DVD-copying device. The U.S. District Court entered a preliminary injunction against RealNetworks based on its violation of the DMCA’s anti-circumvention provisions and dismissed with prejudice RealNetworks’ antitrust counterclaim against the studios; and RealNetworks settled the case, agreeing to a consent judgment and permanent injunction and paying the studios’ litigation costs.
- Rambus in several trials over the last decade. Those trials included representing the company in cases involving charges of anti-competitive conduct, antitrust and unfair competition counterclaims, patent infringement, licensing issues and more. The firm has been recognized over the years by a number of legal publications for its work on behalf of Rambus in these trials.
Brad D. Brian (213) 683-9280
Manuel Cachán (213) 683-9114
Sean Eskovitz (213) 683-9178
Luis Li (213) 683-9205
Gregory P. Stone (213) 683-9255
Bart H. Williams (213) 683-9295