Bobby Malhotra is eDiscovery counsel with Munger, Tolles & Olson, where his practice focuses on navigating complex eDiscovery litigation issues.
As a member of the firm’s litigation group, Mr. Malhotra develops innovative, cost-effective and defensible strategies for the preservation, collection, review and production of electronically stored information. He regularly advises clients on issues related to eDiscovery preparedness, planning and execution as well as information privacy and data security. Mr. Malhotra’s extensive experience includes counseling the firm’s financial institution clients on the unique eDiscovery challenges they face in high-exposure matters arising out of the 2008 financial crisis.
Prior to joining Munger Tolles, Mr. Malhotra worked as a senior discovery consultant for multiple top-tier eDiscovery service providers. He also has nearly five years of experience in network engineering, technology consulting and computer programming. During this time, Mr. Malhotra worked on large-scale network infrastructure projects, including several multi-million dollar engagements for Fortune 500 clients where he focused on Cisco and Microsoft operating system administration issues. A true “techno lawyer,” Mr. Malhotra’s technology experience dates back to his first job in college building and configuring application and file servers using Novell NetWare and Windows NT Operating Systems.
Mr. Malhotra is a member of the International Legal Technology Association, American Bar Association: Section of Litigation and Sedona Conference Working Group on Electronic Document Retention and Production. He has multiple computer certifications, including the CompTIA A+ computer hardware certification.
Mr. Malhotra received his J.D. from DePaul University College of Law and a B.S., cum laude, in telecommunications from DeVry Institute of Technology. He is admitted to the California and Illinois bars.
- KrolLDiscovery eDiscovery Hot Topics CLE, 2017 speaker on the topic of Gathering Complex Data from Challenging or Emerging Locations, Los Angeles, California.
- Understanding the Value (and Risk) of Digital Breadcrumbs, Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Webinar, October 2017.
- Legal Tech West Coast, 2017 conference speaker on the topic of advanced analytical strategies for eDiscovery, San Francisco, California.
- NorCal eDiscovery & Information Governance Retreat, 2016 conference panel moderator discussing the effects of the proportionality amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Half Moon Bay, California.
- SoCal eDiscovery & Information Governance Retreat, 2016 conference panel moderator discussing strategies for drafting and negotiating technology assisted review protocols and stipulations, Newport Coast, California.
- Asian American Bar Association MCLE Mini Marathon, 2016 speaker on the topic of “Ethical Challenges in Emerging Technology and E-Discovery”, San Francisco, California.
- Driven Speaker Series, 2015 speaker on the topic of Data Security for Lawyers, Los Angeles, California.
- SoCal eDiscovery & Information Governance Retreat, 2015 conference speaker on the topic of search strategies that help win cases, Carlsbad, California.
- Driven Speaker Series, 2014 speaker on the topic of the California State Bar’s proposed opinion regarding the ethical competency requirements for attorneys who handle discovery of electronically stored information, Los Angeles, California.
- Carmel Valley eDiscovery Retreat, 2013 conference speaker, Discovery & Rule 1: “Just, Speedy, and Inexpensive...,” Half Moon Bay, California.
- Litigation Summit and Exposition, 2011 conference speaker on the topic of applying best practices in project management to electronic discovery projects, Washington D.C.
- Legal Tech West Coast, 2011 conference speaker on the topic of legal project management, Los Angles, California.
- Intermountain eDiscovery Conference, 2010 conference speaker on the topic of early data assessment, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- “A Sample Solution: Exploring Sampling as a Technique for Validating Categorical Privilege Logs,” LegalTech News, June 2017
- “Key Considerations for Handling Structured Data In The Discovery Process”, ABA Sound Advice Podcast, December 2015.
- “Siri for Lawyers -- How May I Help You?” Law Technology News, October 2011.
- “Don't Confuse Oranges With Apples: E-Discovery on Macintosh Systems,” Corporate Counsel, August 2011.
- “Manage and Mitigate EDD Costs With Microsoft Exchange Server 2010,” Corporate Counsel, April 2011.
- “EDD Showcase: Cracks in the Windows?” Law Technology News, February 2011.
- “A Lawyer’s Guide To Electronic Discovery Potentially Privileged Searches,” Encore Discoveries Whitepaper, 2008.
- “E-Discovery: Two Key Decisions,” Encore Discoveries Online Newsletter, 2007.
- “Keyword Culling: A Best Practice Approach,” Encore Discoveries Online Newsletter, 2007.