Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP today announced the launch of its expanded MTO Fellows Program, an innovative pipeline effort aimed at increasing the diversity of those applying and being accepted to law school.
Building on the success of its predecessor program, which provided support for a few potential law school students per year and successfully helped place candidates in such schools as Stanford, UCLA and Columbia, the new MTO Fellows Program has been dramatically expanded to assist 20-30 diverse law school applicants annually. The new program will support participants in every stage of the application process and in preparation for the first year of law school.
“While our MTO Fellows Program has always sought to strengthen the pipeline of underrepresented groups into law schools, we realized we could do even more to address the lack of diversity in our profession,” said MTO Fellows Committee Co-Chair Misty M. Sanford.
Fellow Committee Co-Chair Anjan Choudhury added, “By expanding the group we support tenfold, our new model will help tackle many of the barriers preventing diverse students from attending law school.”
As part of Munger Tolles’ unique one-year program, each MTO Fellow will:
- receive assistance with their law school applications and LSAT preparation, including the full cost of enrollment in a customized LSAT preparation course designed exclusively for the cohort of Fellows;
- attend monthly workshops designed to prepare them for the demands of the application process and law school; and
- become part of a strong and broad professional network of those who participate in or support the Fellows Program, including a cohort of diverse law students that will support each other during the LSAT prep and application process, in law school and throughout their careers.
Applications open Nov. 15, 2014 and will be due January 1, 2015. The course begins in March 2015 to prepare Fellows to start law school in Fall 2016. The Fellows Program is designed to allow Fellows to continue to work and/or study full-time during the program.
“Our MTO Fellows Program is one of the most exciting pipeline efforts in the country,” Sandra A. Seville-Jones, Munger Tolles Managing Partner, said. “We look forward to partnering with companies, community stakeholders and peer firms in our shared effort to grow the number of law school entrants.”
Munger Tolles is a longtime leader in supporting and improving diversity at all stages of the legal profession, from recruitment to retention to advancement. We have a number of initiatives designed to bolster the number of historically underrepresented groups within the profession including:
- Formal mentoring programs
- 1L Diversity Summer Program
- An onsite day care center and back-up care options
We are proud that our efforts have been recognized with the following:
- Ranked No. 5 nationwide on The American Lawyer’s 2014 Diversity Scorecard
- Received 2014 Diversity Award for a law firm from the California State Bar
- Named 2014 “Top Ten Family Friendly Firms” by Yale Law Women and one of the “50 Best Law Firms for Women” by Working Mother and Flex-Time Lawyers