Garth T. Vincent is a litigation partner at Munger, Tolles & Olson concentrating in antitrust and unfair competition, intellectual property and other complex business litigation.
Mr. Vincent has extensive trial and appellate experience, having successfully tried complex business cases for major companies in various federal and state courts and arbitration tribunals throughout the country and argued numerous appeals before various federal and state appellate courts.
Mr. Vincent has particular expertise in the eye care industry, having served for the past 20 years as national litigation counsel for the nation's largest contact lens retailer, handling nearly all of its most significant litigation as well as various regulatory matters before the Federal Trade Commission and numerous state regulatory boards throughout the country. He also has been actively involved in its legislative and public relations activities at both the federal and state level and has served on its board of directors.
Antitrust & Unfair Competition
Mr. Vincent has handled a wide variety of antitrust and unfair competition cases for Fortune 100 and other major companies, including:
- Representing clients in litigation, regulatory and legislative proceedings relating to Resale Price Maintenance and other vertical restraints;
- Representing a major online retailer against claims it engaged in “sham litigation” relating to trademark infringement claims brought against various competitors;
- Representing a major pharmaceutical company in various cases alleging a wide variety of restraint of trade and monopolization allegations;
- Representing a major wholesaler of entertainment products in litigation involving attempted monopolization and tying claims;
- Representing the nation’s largest contact lens retailer in multi-district litigation against manufacturers and eye care practitioners for conspiring to restrict the supply of contact lenses;
- Representing a major aluminum manufacturer in a class action lawsuit alleging that domestic manufacturers and their trade associations, with the assistance of certain foreign governments, engaged in price fixing; and
- Representing clients in various Lanham Act and unfair competition cases, including successful appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and the Utah Supreme Court.
Mr. Vincent also has successfully handled a wide variety of major patent, trademark and trade secret matters across various industries, including:
- Representing clients such as Verizon and Cisco in multi-patent cases relating to telecommunications technology;
- Representing technology companies such as Tessera and Rambus in multi-patent litigation relating to semiconductor technology;
- Representing Abbott Laboratories in several patent cases involving biologics, pharmaceutical compositions and diagnostic devices and tests;
- Representing Northrop Grumman in patent litigation relating to filters used in cell phones and other wireless devices;
- Representing TRW, Inc. in international patent litigation involving its patents for mobile satellite communications systems; and
- Representing clients such as Boeing, Shell Oil, Mobil Oil and Tenneco in trademark and trade secret matters.
Other Complex Business Litigation (Trials & Arbitrations)
Mr. Vincent also has successfully represented clients in various other complex commercial trials or arbitrations, including:
- Obtaining a complete defense verdict for Abbott Laboratories in a dispute involving a medical device agreement;
- Obtaining a complete defense verdict, following a three-week jury trial, for Brighton Collectibles, Inc., a leading manufacturer and retailer of women’s accessories, in a breach of contract and partnership action brought by its former management company;
- Obtaining a complete defense verdict, as well as a multi-million dollar counterclaim award, for Experian in litigation arising out of a database licensing agreement;
- Representing Budget Rent-A-Car in a high-stakes license dispute culminating with a successful appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; and
- Representing a number of the nation’s premier law firms in the area of professional malpractice.
Mr. Vincent has had substantial criminal trial experience as well. In addition to representing clients of the firm on a variety of white collar matters, Mr. Vincent served as a Special Deputy City Attorney, where he prosecuted approximately a dozen criminal jury trials involving such charges as burglary, theft, assault, battery, domestic violence and weapon and drug possession.
Mr. Vincent is active in several bar and professional organizations, including the American Bar Association (Antitrust and IP Sections), the California State Bar Association (Antitrust Section) and the Los Angeles County Bar Association. He was selected as “Outstanding Lawyer” by the J. Reuben Clark Law Society (Los Angeles Chapter), and has served on its board.
Mr. Vincent is also active in the community. He has served on the board of the Palisades-Malibu YMCA, and has been the lead volunteer for certain of its youth programs. He also has held numerous leadership and teaching positions in his church. He also is a former Judge Pro Tem for the Los Angeles Municipal Court.