Mary Ann Todd is a corporate partner at Munger, Tolles & Olson. Her practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate governance. She represents publicly traded and privately held companies and private equity funds. Ms. Todd’s practice also includes counseling clients with respect to securities law compliance. She has represented committees of boards of directors with respect to business transactions and corporate investigations.
Ms. Todd was recently selected as one of The National Law Journal’s Outstanding Women Lawyers -- one of the 75 most accomplished female attorneys working in the legal profession today. Chambers USA ranks Ms. Todd among leading practitioners in the area of Corporate M&A, and she has previously been honored as an “Up & Coming Corporate/M&A Lawyer of the Year” by Chambers USA in its Women in Law Awards. She is included in Lawdragon’s list of the 500 Leading Lawyers in America. Law360 has named Ms. Todd an MVP in Mergers and Acquisitions and one of the Top Female Dealmakers, and the Los Angeles Business Journal has listed Ms. Todd as one of the “Most Influential M&A Advisors” and among the “Who’s Who in L.A. Law.” Also, the Daily Journal has named Ms. Todd among the “Top Women Lawyers” in California each year since 2011 and The American Lawyer has twice selected her as a “Dealmaker of the Week.”
Representative transactions include:
- Berkshire Hathaway Inc. in its acquisition of Precision Castparts Corp., the merger between H.J. Heinz Company and Kraft Foods Group, its acquisition of Duracell from Procter & Gamble, its acquisition, together with 3G Capital, of H.J. Heinz Company, its acquisition of The Lubrizol Corporation and its acquisition of Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation; and in connection with the acquisition of Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company by Mars, Incorporated.
- BDT Capital Partners, LLC in connection with its investment in Cox Automotive, as part of Cox Automotive's acquisition of Dealertrack Technologies; its investment in the acquisition, together with majority investor Joh. A. Benckiser (JAB), of Peet's Coffee & Tea and Caribou Coffee; and its investment in Colfax Corporation.
- Internet Brands Inc. in its sale to global investment firm KKR.
- Greenhill & Company in its role as financial advisor to the Board of Directors of Safeway Inc., in its transaction with Cerberus Capital.
- 99 Cents Only Stores in its going private transaction.
- Universal Music Group in its acquisitions of EMI Recorded Music (U.S. Counsel), BMG Music Publishing (U.S. Counsel) and Univision Music Group, and in various joint venture transactions, including the formation of VEVO.
- The founder of Citizens of Humanity in his sale of a majority interest to a private equity buyer and related transactions.
- BlackLine Systems, in its sale of a majority interest to Silver Lake Sumeru.
- Majority shareholders of Books-A-Million in its go-private transaction.
Ms. Todd is a member of the Board of Directors of the California Bar Foundation. She is also involved with several local nonprofit organizations, including serving as secretary of the board of governors of the Fulfillment Fund and as a member of the board of directors of the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice.