Kevin Masuda is a partner in the corporate department at Munger, Tolles & Olson. His practice encompasses various types of business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, restructurings, public and private securities offerings and other business financings. In his mergers and acquisitions practice, he has represented buyers as well as sellers, and in his securities work, he has represented issuers, underwriters and investors.
Mr. Masuda was recognized in Variety’s 2017 Legal Impact Report as one of the top attorneys in entertainment and media. He was also named as one of 2016’s Most Influential Minority Lawyers in Los Angeles by the Los Angeles Business Journal and named to Variety’s 2016 Dealmakers Impact Report. He was named to The Hollywood Reporter’s 2015 Power Lawyers List and was featured in Law360’s Dealmakers Q&A.
Mr. Masuda served as president for five years of the Society to Aid the Retarded Inc., a non-profit corporation that provides housing and other services to mentally challenged adults. He continues to serve as a board member of the group. Mr. Masuda is an adjunct professor of law at Loyola Law School, where he teaches mergers and acquisitions. He is a member of the California and Los Angeles County Bar Associations and the business law section of the California State Bar.
- Beats Electronics and Beats Music in the companies’ $3 billion acquisition by Apple and several significant equity transactions, acquisitions, and bank financing transactions.
- Independent directors of DreamWorks Animation in the sale of DreamWorks to NBCUniversal for $3.8 billion.
- MGM International in strategic joint venture and acquisition transactions, including the purchase of the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa in Atlantic City.
- MacAndrews & Forbes Incorporated and its portfolio company, Deluxe Entertainment Services Group, in acquisitions, investments and strategic joint ventures.
- Fortress Investment Group in strategic investments and partnerships.
- The Yucaipa Companies, an investment fund controlled by Ron Burkle, in various PIPE transactions, strategic acquisitions and investments, restructurings and financings.
- Independent Sports & Entertainment in restructuring matters, capital raises and general corporate matters.
- Cannery Casino Resorts, the Ruffin Companies, Fertitta Gaming, the Nine Group, and private equity funds in acquisitions, investments, restructurings, and other strategic transactions in the gaming industry.
- Universal Music Group and Universal Music Publishing Group in various strategic transactions, including the acquisition/formation of music labels and music management companies (20+), venture capital/strategic investments, formation of an online music store and genre music web sites, sale of Pressplay.com, various acquisitions and dispositions of music publishing assets, and a partnership with a major bank to secure payment over the Internet.
- Wasserman Media Group, a global sports and entertainment company, in numerous acquisitions (15+), strategic partnerships, financings and investment transactions.
- Adverum Biotechnologies, a publicly traded gene therapy company, in acquisitions and other strategic transactions and corporate governance matters.
- Americold Realty Trust, the nation’s largest owner and operator of cold storage warehouses, in a $975 million financing and concurrent acquisition of VersaCold, the world’s second largest operator of cold storage warehouses.
- Investors in purchasing interests in major sports franchises (Lakers and Golden State Warriors).
- NFL sports franchises in business/strategic transactions.
- Several major Hollywood talent agencies in restructurings, employment agreements, and general corporate matters.
- Nederlander Concerts, a leading concert promoter, in various strategic transactions.
- Various investors and issuers in venture capital transactions.