Adam I. Kaplan is a litigator in the San Francisco office of Munger, Tolles & Olson. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, with an emphasis on securities, intellectual property and employment litigation.
- Avalanche Biotechnologies in defending securities class actions filed in federal and state court.
- The MPAA and its member studios in defending against a federal class action alleging that the MPAA’s motion picture rating service is required to give an “R” rating to any movie featuring any tobacco imagery.
- Bank of America in multijurisdictional federal litigation arising from the collapse of a mortgage-backed commercial paper facility.
- Merrill Lynch and Wells Fargo in a Ninth Circuit appeal of dismissed forced patronage putative class actions brought by financial advisors.
- A non-profit organization in defending against age and gender employment discrimination claims filed in state court.
- Numerous high technology companies in internal corporate investigations.
In addition, Mr. Kaplan maintains an active pro bono practice. He has advised a pro bono client on copyright matters and obtained asylum and other forms of relief in immigration court for pro bono clients facing deportation.
Mr. Kaplan is the president of the Barristers Club of the Bar Association of San Francisco. He also serves on the executive committee of the Bar Association’s board of directors and is a past co-chair of the Barristers Club’s Litigation Section. He is a co-founding vice president of the Jewish Bar Association of San Francisco and serves on the legal pipeline committee of the advisory council for the Bay Area Urban Debate League.
Before joining Munger Tolles, Mr. Kaplan served as a law clerk to Judge Pamela Ann Rymer of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and Judge Alan C. Kay of the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii.
Prior to law school, Mr. Kaplan taught English and Government & Economics and coached cross-country and track at a private high school for gifted students with learning disabilities.