Tax and Executive Compensation
Novel Structurings, Advice and Planning Success for Diverse Clientele
Munger Tolles’ tax practice focuses on structuring complex business transactions and advising on executive compensation and employee benefits matters. We also regularly handle tax litigation, drawing on the skills of both our tax attorneys and our general litigators. Each of our tax lawyers, from the most junior to the most senior, routinely practices across a range of these areas, ensuring that we are equipped to advise our clients and colleagues on multiple fronts.
Our practice includes the following service areas:
Structuring and taxation aspects of
- Corporate and partnership transactions
- Portfolio investments
- Joint ventures
- Real estate transactions
- Investment fund formations
- Workouts and restructurings
- Public & private debt and equity offerings
- Financial instruments
- Advising founders, C-suite executives and management teams on M&A and other transactions
Executive Compensation and Employee Benefits
- Founder and C-suite executive employment and cash and equity compensation arrangements
- Severance Arrangements
- Equity Compensation Plans
- Advice on matters involving the structure and operations of exempt organizations
Tax Issues for High Net Worth Clients
- Advising founders and family offices on structuring and tax planning matters
- Disputes with federal, state and local taxing authorities at the administrative and judicial levels
We handle a broad range of tax matters for major corporations, private equity funds, family offices and others. Recent clients include:
- BDT Capital Partners
- Berkshire Hathaway
- Founder of Credit Karma
- Founders of Bison Trails
- Hillspire, LLC
- Marmon Holdings
- MGM Resorts International
- Nexus Capital Management
- Oaktree Capital Management
- Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E)
- Pope Resources
- The Yucaipa Companies
- Various High Net Worth Individuals and Families, as well as Founders
- View, Inc.
Munger, Tolles & Olson has extensive experience with the structuring and taxation aspects of a broad range of complex transactions.
- Intel Corporation’s $9 billion sale of its NAND flash memory solid state drive and wafer businesses to SK Hynix, a South Korean semiconductor manufacturer.
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company’s sale of its wireless telecommunications business to SBA Communications, for approximately $973mm in initial proceeds.
- Berkshire Hathaway’s M&A and bespoke investment matters, including investments in Occidental Petroleum, Snowflake Inc., Nubank and E.W. Scripps.
- Credit Karma’s owner/founder in connection with Credit Karma’s $8.1 billion sale to Intuit.
- Pope Resources in its sale to Rayonier, a publicly traded REIT, for $564 million.
- BDT Capital in connection with its joint venture investments in Pret Panera, Keurig Dr. Pepper and Peet’s Coffee.
Munger, Tolles & Olson’s unique compensation practice focuses on representing founders, C-suite executives, management teams and investment fund managers in employment and cash and equity compensation arrangements relating to public and private companies as well as private equity and hedge funds.