Location: Los Angeles
The reference librarian assists firm attorneys and other professional and support staff by researching specific legal and business-related topics upon request and by providing research assistance, ready reference and bibliographic instruction, as necessary. In addition, the reference librarian prepares and offers structured training modules and assists others with the preparation and presentation of various instructional programs. The reference librarian also assists the head librarian with a variety of administrative and data management tasks and projects, including oversight of the library, administrative and MCLE databases and the Library’s intranet maintenance. The reference librarian assists in identifying and evaluating potential acquisitions and assessment of existing holdings.
• Masters in library science from an ALA-accredited program or comparable degree.
• Coursework in legal bibliography and legal research.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Minimum of one year professional, paraprofessional or internship experience in user services in a public, academic or corporate law library setting. Business reference skills preferred.
• Demonstrated understanding of database management concepts.
• Fluency in computer-assisted research concepts and demonstrated facility in research electronic resources including legal, scientific, business and public records databases.
• Strong organizational skills, oral and written communication and instructional skills.
• Experience with word-processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications (specifically Microsoft Windows and Office packages).
• Strong user-service orientation.
• Flexibility, composure and the ability to prioritize and handle many urgent tasks and requests simultaneously with a high level of competence and accuracy; the ability to remain composed and professional under stressful circumstances.
• Willingness to work with Library staff as a cohesive team and to work with other Firm personnel to deliver consistently high-quality information services.
• Must be willing and available to work evenings and weekends, as necessary to perform duties.
Position Status: Non-Exempt, 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
For consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter to Human Resources at email@example.com; Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP, 355 S. Grand Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90071.
Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP is an equal opportunity employer.